Laboratory testing facilities
Tension and compression machines
Machines capable of tension and compression tests up to 2000kN and 300mm stroke.
Used for various frequency excitations including earthquake data, sinusoidal, square wave etc. High speed/frequency tension and compression tests.
Table size is 3m x 3m, max specimen weight of 10tonnes, frequency up to 100 Hz, displacements up to 250mm and acceleration up to 5g are achieved.
- Electronically PID controlled
- Control of loading rate in either force or position control
- Designed primarily for cyclic fatigue testing or precise loading rates
- 300mm deflection range and 500kN maximum load
Large variety of hydraulic jacks for use in various static loading set-ups. Jacks range up to 2000kN and 300mm stoke. Larger stroke can be achieved with multi stage loading.
A purposely-designed structures floor for high loads and large specimens. Large amount of frames and structures to allow a huge variety of loading set-ups.
Versatile high speed/high channel count acquisition systems that can have user interfaces and graphs to suit the client. Up to 128 channels are available for normal tests but this can be expanded for special test arrangements. Acquisition systems designed for long-term remote testing and can be left unattended.
Engine and transmission testing.
Dynamics & solids
Structure, noise, vibration, and impact testing.
Air flow and fluids modelling. Flat plate heat transfer. Drag and turbulence (all using open circuit wind tunnel).
The following tests can be carried out:
- Total organic carbon (TOC)
- Chemical oxygen demand (COD)
- Molecular weight size distribution
- pH, ORP, conductivity, turbidity, suspended solids, settle-able solids, sludge volume index (SVI)
- Jar tests
- Adsorption tests
- Test and measurement of microwave and RF components up to 50GHz
- Characterisation of microwave and RF components up to 50GHz
- Design and construction of microwave and RF modules from low power to high power
- Technical advice on microwave and RF systems and parts
- Training on microwave and RF test and measurement equipment
The laboratory also includes other basic test and measurement equipment for general engineering and design tasks.
Efficacy of pesticides against public health pests, particularly cockroaches and fleas. Laboratory and field trials on conventional insecticides and insect growth regulators (IGR's) for efficacy and registration. Pests include: Cockroaches ants, fleas, mosquitoes, silverfish, spiders and slaters.
Insect pest management of urban and industrial pests in public buildings. Toxicology of pesticides. Management of their use to limit hazard.
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy is a standard technique used in many laboratories to study physical, chemical and biological properties of matter.
Thermal analysis equipment
Microstructural Analysis Unit
Infrared chemical imaging facility
Infrared chemical imaging at UTS is carried out using a Digilab Stingray system, consisting of an FTS7000 infrared spectrometer, a UMA600 infrared microscope, a Lancer 64x64 MCT focal plane array detector, and the Stingray large sample (imaging) accessory. The instrument is also equipped with a single point MCT detector (microscope), a DTGS detector (bench), an MTEC photoacoustic detector, and hot and cold stage capabilities (-200 to +1500 degC).